Maintenance works are carried out for all structures within the concession area and toll plaza. Which include bridge structure inspections (land, above water and underwater), preventive maintenance and heavy repair. Improvement works are also carried out to enhance user’s convenience and satisfaction in line with the company's quality and corporate objectives.
CONCEPT OF CIVIL AND STRUCTURAL MAINTENANCE
Penang Bridge maintenance is to preserve the road and bridge functional and structural characteristic and to continuously provide safe and uninterrupted journey for customers.
Penang Bridge maintenance activities are consists of various aspect of maintenance work and is divided into three (3) activities which are complementary to each other, namely bridge maintenance, preventive maintenance and curative maintenance and repair works.
1. Bridge Maintenance
This maintenance and inspection works is to detect, identify and assess the nature, extend and quantum of any structural defects or material deterioration of the various bridge elements. This will enable a systematic determination and assessment of the current condition of the elements so that a proper line of remedial or preventive work actions could be taken as a mean to guarantee and sustained the overall bridge safety and serviceability and to ensure optimum comfort to bridge users.
The scope of work towards attaining the above objective involves performing visual inspection of structural defects and material deterioration to every structural element of the bridge. The outcome of the inspection and assessment works shall be used as a basis for determining the current conditions of the bridge, establishing methodology of repair and performing repair works as deem necessary.
Tower Inspection and repair
Bridge Inspection using Automatic Bridge Control (ABC)
2. Preventive Maintenance
It covers the routine inspection and monitoring of maintenance works carried out to upkeep road facilities and bridge structure cleanliness for user’s safety and comfort. The scope of preventive maintenance consists:
Grass Maintenance shall consist of the cutting of grass to the required levels, removal, disposals of the grass, vegetation shrubs or any wild growth.
Landscaping Maintenance shall include but not be limited to watering, weeding, pruning, trimming, replacement of shrubs and trees, fertilizing, spraying and cleaning of unnecessary growth, etc., and any other horticulture management.
Drainage Maintenance is to ensure a free flow of water at all times. It is important to ensure the removal of surface run-off from the pavement as quickly as possible to prevent penetration to the foundations. It shall consist of desilting and cleaning of all surface drainage, sumps, culverts, aprons, horizontal drains and subsoil drains.
Building maintenance shall be the cleaning and upkeep of toll plaza and building and its annexes, all built up components, turf areas, drainage/culvert systems, fencing and disposal of garbage.
3. Curative Maintenance and Repair Works
Curative maintenance is repairs for reinstatements of defects to maintain its integrity to ensure continued safety to the users at all times. Inspection and monitoring will be carried out regularly in accordance to the standards requirements. It shall consist:
- Bridge structures – bridge components
- Road surface (i.e. pavement) – flexible, rigid and shoulders
- Drainage structure – roadside drains, berm and interceptor drains, subsoil and
- horizontal drains and unlined drains.
- Structures – culverts, retaining walls
- Earthworks – slopes and embankments
Underwater Inspection and Repair
CONCEPT OF ELECTRONIC AND ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE
(Covers the routine inspection and monitoring of maintenance works)
It is periodical and scheduled. For each type of equipment, there is list of operations to be carried out during the preventive maintenance. These operations can be classified as:
- Record of statistical registers and operation time
- Check of mechanical adjustments
- Check and exchange if necessary of consumable parts
- Run test programmes and /or test sequences
- Record the result of these operation on the intervention sheet.
The good performances of the equipment depend mainly on the efficiency of preventive maintenance.
In case of failure, the priority is to restore in a minimum period of time the equipment to its original condition in order to minimize the disturbance to the users. The working method comprises the following steps:
- On site check of the symptom of the failure
- Analysis of the failure and detection of the origin
- Clear the failure through simple actions ie. cleaning, adjusting and subassembly exchange
- Check the good functioning of the equipment after the intervention
- Record accurately the information concerning the operations carried out on the
- corrective maintenance sheet.
Toll Operations Equipment
- The maintenance schedule comprises preventive and breakdown maintenance. All equipments should be regularly inspected, tested and maintained in good working condition. Adequate spare parts and standby units shall be made available at all times.
- Immediate actions in emergency case to rectify breakdowns or replacement of damaged equipments to avoid interruption to the toll collections or lost of data and to avoid traffic congestions due to closure of the lanes.
- The routine maintenance to be carried out according to the checklist and frequency of maintenance recommended by the equipment manufacturers.
Buildings and Ancillary Structures
- Monthly inspections of any damages/unserviceable mechanical, electrical items/fittings, as required to provide safety, efficient and uninterrupted electricity supply to all facilities.
- To carry out rectification process and repair or replace any damaged equipment.
Standby Generator Set
- The maintenance should generally include maintenance of Main Switch Boards, sub switch boards , distribution boards , light fittings and other fixtures existed and are to be kept cleaned , safe and operational at all times. This includes replacement of materials after certain recommended operational period or life time as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Standby generator set shall be in good working conditions at all times. The starting system such as battery, charger and etc. shall be regularly tested (run with no load).
- The level of oil and diesel must be regularly inspected.
Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
- The scope of routine maintenance for the UPS system should be carried out in accordance to the checklist and frequency as recommended by manufacturers.
- Basically, the system must be kept free of dust and should be regularly checked for tightness of connections and for evidence of component damage or overheating.
- Carry out a visual check of the controls, indicators and alarms to ensure the meters are operating properly.
Maintenance of lighting system
- The list of installation in this system includes:
- Highmast lighting installation
- Streetlighting installation including compound lighting
- Feeder Pillar and LV board
- Underpass lighting installation
- Aviation and channel marker lighting installation
- Decorative lighting installation
- Night inspection of the installation and weekly action to be taken for rectification such as replacement or burnt out lamps ,readjusting of ON –OFF timer etc , unless the level of lighting becomes insufficient.
- Regular inspection, maintenance on the highmast installation including drums, ropes, luminaries, limit switch, carriage, ramming etc.
- Regular inspection on the feeder pillars and the associate electrical components so as to ensure they are in good working condition.
- Regular cleaning of luminaries and poles especially the low level lightings.
- Ensure the lighting levels are uniform and achieved the desirable level of illumination; test shall be conducted annually.
- Check the rust and the solidity of the poles. Repaint if necessary and any damaged poles/luminaries shall be immediately removed and replaced.
- Measure the earthing and cable insulation.
ISO Certification for Maintenance Services
PBSB is committed towards providing excellent services for customer satisfaction. In materializing such commitment PBSB is the first toll operating company in Malaysia to be certified under the ISO 9002 registration. PBSB later moved forward and successfully converted its ISO registration to the current standard under ISO 9001:2000. It has also successfully upgraded the ISO 9001:2000 registration to include maintenance services under the scopes of; Civil & Structure and Mechanical & Electrical Maintenance Services, Traffic and Safety Management.